Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tamworth in Inglis, New South Wales, Australia
 

Electric Street Lighting

 
 
Electric Street Lighting Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 31, 2005
1. Electric Street Lighting Marker
Inscription. Tamworth N.S.W. was the first town in Australia to introduce electric street lighting by means of two 18kw steam driven Crompton dynamos. Electricity was supplied to 52 street lights using 140 Swan incandescent lamps and 7 Crompton carbon arc lamps.

9th November 1888
 
Location. 31° 5.223′ S, 150° 55.609′ E. Marker is in Tamworth, New South Wales, in Inglis. Marker is on Peel Street just north of Darling Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 Peel Street, Tamworth, New South Wales 2340, Australia.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  Tamworth Powerstation Museum. The Powerstation Museum webpage. (Submitted on December 17, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Electric Street Lighting Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 31, 2005
2. Electric Street Lighting Marker - Wide View
The Tamworth Powerstation Museum image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
3. The Tamworth Powerstation Museum
Tamworth was the first town in Australia to be lit by electricity, in 1888, just nine years after the invention of the incandescent electric light bulb, first by the Englishman Joseph Wilson Swan, who demonstrated his invention in December 1878, followed (independently) by the American Thomas Edison in October 1879. It was also one of the early centres to be connected to the telegraph, in 1861, just seven years after the first telegraph came into use in this country. The Tamworth Powerstation Museum was opened on 9th November, 1988, the centenary of the installation of electric lighting in Tamworth. It was the first Australian all-electric museum. - from the museum brochure
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement