Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lloyd Street Synagogue
This beautiful old synagogue not only remains an important landmark in the history of American Jewry, but also stands as a symbol of Baltimore's role as a port of entry for generations of European immigrants. Three successive congregations occupied the site: Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (1845-1890, Central European Jews), St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church (1890-1905, Lithuanian Roman Catholics), and Shomrei Mishmeres Ha-Kodesh (1905-1963, East European Jews), each of which altered the building to meet its congregational needs.
When the building was threatened demolition in the early 1960s, the Jewish Historical Society of Maryland (now the Jewish Museum of Maryland) purchased and restored the synagogue as an historic site. The restoration preserved the original wooden pews, women's balcony, cast iron fence, and magnificent painted glass windows. In the lower level, a study hall and chapel, social hall, ritual baths (mikvaot), and an oven used in the baking of Passover matzah (unleavened bread) shed light
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Security Title / Guarantee Corporation, sponsor and William Donald Schaefer, mayor, rededicated 2005, Martin O'Malley, mayor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.424′ N, 76° 36.08′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Lloyd Street and Watson Street, on the right when traveling north on Lloyd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lloyd Street Synagogue ( here, next to this marker); B'nai Israel Synagogue ( within shouting distance of this marker); 1029 East Baltimore Street ( within shouting distance of this marker); McKim Free School ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); On to Yorktown ( about 300 feet away); 1023 East Baltimore Street ( about 300 feet away); 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street ( about 400 feet away); 1781 Friends Meeting House ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Also see . . .
1. The Jewish Museum of Maryland. (Submitted on April 14, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
2. Photographs of the Lloyd Street Synagogue, from the Historic American Buildings Survey. (Submitted on May 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,756 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on May 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 5. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on April 13, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 7. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.