Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Juneau in Juneau Borough, Alaska — The American West (Northwest)
 

St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church

 
 
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
1. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
Inscription.

A building rich with history

Juneauís gold rush in the 1880s initiated efforts by various missionaries to convert the Native peoples to their faith. American missionaries were instructed to suppress the use of native languages and as a result, many Tlingits chose to embrace the Orthodox Church which used native languages in worship. St. Innocent Veniaminov, was the first to translate the Christian Scripture into that language and taught Native Alaskans to read and write in their own language. Juneau Tlingit leaders, were eager to develop a parish and in July of 1892, Bishop Nikolai visited Juneau and baptized nearly 700 of 1,500 natives in the town. By 1893 community raised enough money to buy two lots in town and construction was started in July of that year. The church was finished in November of 1893 and Bishop Nikolai consecrated the church in June of 1894.

Architecturally, the building is beautiful example of the Russian American architecture and the unique octagon plan of St Nicholas is known to be the last of the Orthodox churches of this shape. The interior space is beautifully adorned with a seven-bay iconostas. In its first decade, St Nicholas Church was served by Father John Bartnovsky, and Father Alexander Yaroshevich, both Russian clergy who were familiar with the Tlingit language.

St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
2. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
(Quote) “The robes were decorated with gold and bright carnation cloth of a dazzling brightness, while his miter was studded with brilliants.” Alaska Mining Record reporting on Bishop Nicholasí vestment at the churchís dedication June 28, 1894
 
Location. 58° 18.182′ N, 134° 24.544′ W. Marker is in Juneau, Alaska, in Juneau Borough. Marker is on 5th Street east of North Franklin Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Juneau AK 99801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liberty Bell Reproduction (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alaska Native Veterans Memorial (approx. ľ mile away); Archie Van Winkle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hard Rock Miners (approx. 0.3 miles away); Patsy Ann: her statue (approx. 0.3 miles away); Manila Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); USS Juneau (CL-52) Memorial (approx. ĺ mile away); Alaska Juneau Mill (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Juneau.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
3. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
National Register of Historic Places
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
4. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
5. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
6. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 3, 2009
7. St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement