Juneau in Juneau Borough, Alaska — The American West (Northwest)
By October of 1880 the Harris Mining District had been established, and the first claims staked by Harris & Juneau. A lot of controversy surrounds the early discovery and establishment of the district, but one fact remains clear: gold was discovered—and it brought an influx of people to this wild land to seek their fortune.
Other mines were quickly discovered and camps sprung up like mushrooms near Mount Roberts, Douglas Island and Gold Creek. The Chilkoot Shaft, seen here at the Gold Creek Salmon Bake, is a remnant of an airshaft that served the Wagner Mine, which was part of the Alaska-Gastineau Mining Company (A-G Mining). The $38 million dollar investment was abandoned in 1930 after running out of profitable ore.
Location. 58° 19.933′ Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Gold Creek Salmon Bake. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1061 Salmon Creek Lane (Park entrance), Juneau AK 99801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pelton wheels (a few steps from this marker); Alaska Native Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); St. Nichlolas Russian Orthodox Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Liberty Bell Reproduction (approx. 2.9 miles away); Archie Van Winkle (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hard Rock Miners (approx. 3.2 miles away); Patsy Ann: her statue (approx. 3.2 miles away); Manila Square (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Juneau.
Categories. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.