Near Greenleaf in Meeker County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St. Columban Cemetery
This monument marks the site of St. Columban Church and Cemetery. Beginning in 1858, mass and sacraments were celebrated in the homes of the early settlers by Benedictine Monks from St. Cloud friory, who came periodically on horseback. In 1869 the first church was built on this land given by Michael and Winifred McGraw and Lewis and Mary Maher. The church dedicated on January 4, 1870, was destroyed by fire November 23, 1880. A second frame church was built in 1889. The parish was incorporated January 17, 1896. From 1922 to 1937 the church was unused. It was reopened and served by the Church of Our Lady, Manannah from 1937 to 1960, by St. Anastasia, Hutchinson 1960-1965, and St. Gertrudes, Forest City until 1971 when the mission was closed. The church building was taken down in 1985.
Location. 44° 59.695′ N, 94° 32.284′ W. Marker is near Greenleaf, Minnesota, in Meeker County. Marker can be reached from County Road 18 1.8 miles west of State Highway 22, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in St. Columban Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Litchfield MN 55355, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Daniel A. Cross (approx. 4.3 miles away); Ness Lutheran Church (approx. 7.7 miles away); Ness Cemetery State Monument (approx. 7.7 miles away); Legion Memorial Park (approx. 7.7 miles away); Chief Little Crow (approx. 7.8 miles away); Civil War Monument (approx. 8 miles away); Andreas Olson (approx. 8.1 miles away); Battle of Acton (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 15, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.