San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Bank of California
“The Grand Old Lady of California Street”
—400 California Street —
In January 1906, the bank moved to a temporary location while beginning preparations for the splendid new building. Progress was halted abruptly on April 18, 1908 by the earthquake and fire, but work recommenced just six weeks later. The Bank of California’s new building – today affectionately called “The Grand Old Lady of California Street” – opened on September 8, 1908 as the first new commercial structure the Financial District to rise out of the ruins of the earthquake.
The Bank of California and Union Bank merged in 1996 to create Union Bank of California, N.A. This historic building was rededicated on its 100th anniversary September 8, 2008, by Union Bank of California President and Chief Executive Officer Masakki Tanaka and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom.
Erected 2008 by Union Bank of California. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 37° 47.59′ N, 122° 24.085′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 California Street, San Francisco CA 94104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); William Alexander Leidesdorff (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of What Cheer House (about 300 feet away); “The Orient Building” (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named William Alexander Leidesdorff (about 400 feet away); The Old Chamber of Commerce Building (about 500 feet away); "The Family" (about 600 feet away); The San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . Bank of California and William Ralston -found SF. Ralston dabbled in a number of schemes before finding his lode. Some things like helping to finance the takeover of Nicaragua by soldier of fortune William Walker just did not pay off. It was to the Comstock Lode south of present-day Reno that "Billy" Ralston hitched his star soon after its discovery in 1859. (Submitted on December 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 405 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.