Walterboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1950 by The Colleton County Historical Society.
Location. 32° 54.175′ N, 80° 40.019′ W. Marker is in Walterboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Jefferies Boulevard and East Wasghington Street on North Jefferies Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Colleton County Court House. Marker is in this post office area: Walterboro SC 29488, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Monument ( within shouting distance of this marker); Walterboro Jail ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colleton County Courthouse ( about 300 feet away); Colleton County Veterans War Memorial ( about 600 feet away); Walterborough Academy Walterborough Library Society ( approx. half a mile away); Hickory Valley ( approx. half a mile away); Bethel Presbyterian Church ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walterboro.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. Walterboro (originally spelled Walterborough) was founded in 1783 as a summer retreat for local planters looking to escape their malaria-ridden, lowcountry plantations. (Submitted on April 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,039 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on April 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on April 14, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.