Anoka in Anoka County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Where Cultures Meet
Native peoples and traders met at a trading post constructed across the Rum River from The Point in 1844 by Joseph Bellanger. The Ojibwa brought furs and skins to trade for copper cooking pots, cloth, blankets, decorative beads and iron tools.
The trading post also served as a traveler's rest for settlers and traders using the nearby Red River Oxcart Trail. It was the first building constructed in Anoka and provided a temporary home for traders, missionaries and settlers.
Location. 45° 11.5′ N, 93° 23.45′ W. Marker is in Anoka, Minnesota, in Anoka County. Marker can be reached from South Ferry Road 0.3 miles east of South Ferry Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Peninsula Point Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1460 South Ferry Parkway, Anoka MN 55303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fireman's Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Logbooms Meet Sawmills (within shouting distance of this marker); River Highways (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Where Land and Water Meet (about 400 feet away); Bridging the Mississippi Highway of Exploration (about 500 feet away); Circle of Life (about 500 feet away); The Gathering Place (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anoka.
More about this marker. painting captions:
• Painting by Bill Cannon.
• A reconstruction of the Bellanger trading post across from The Point on the Rum River.
Also see . . .
1. Anoka History. City of Anoka website. (Submitted on December 26, 2013.)
2. Anoka County Early Years. Anoka County Historical Society. (Submitted on December 26, 2013.)
3. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Green ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica). (Submitted on December 26, 2013.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 26, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.