Derry-Londonderry in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Walker Memorial Pillar
This monument was erected to perpetuate the memory of the Rev. George Walker, who, aided by the garrison and brave inhabitants of this City, most gallantly defended it through a protracted siege, viz., from the 7th Dec. 1688 O.S. to the 12th of August following against an arbitrary and bigoted Monarch, heading an army of upwards of 20,000 men, many of whom were foreign mercenaries, and by such valiant conduct in numerous sorties, and by patiently enduring extreme privations and sufferings, successfully resisted the besiegers and preserved for their posterity the blessings of civil and religious liberty.
Erected by the Apprentice Boys and Friends.
Location. 54° 59.711′ N, 7° 19.5′ W. Marker is in Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in County Londonderry. Touch for map. Marker is on the city wall walking path. Marker is in this post office area: Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland BT48 6RQ, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royal Bastion (a few steps from this marker); St Columba (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Parade (within shouting distance of this marker); SeŠn Keenan / ” CianŠin The Platform (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); George Farquhar (about 120 meters away); Free Derry Corner (about 120 meters away); Verbal Arts Centre (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Derry-Londonderry.
Also see . . . 1828 Governor Walker's Monument, Derry. (Submitted on December 30, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Disasters • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.