Chandler in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
16 South San Marcos Place
Chandler Historic Business District on the National Register of Historic Places
Built by the Chandler Improvement Company, this building is named for merchant M. E. Monroe, who opened the Monroe Hardware Store in the bottom portion. The Chandler Chamber of Commerce leased the top portion as their first home. The building later became the Parkway Theatre, opened by the Woods family in 1945. Photo courtesy of Chandler Historical Society.
Location. 33° 18.187′ N, 111° 50.532′ W. Marker is in Chandler, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is on South San Marcos Place just south of West Commonwealth Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16 South San Marcos Place, Chandler AZ 85225, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morrison Grocery (a few steps from this marker); Bank of Chandler (a few steps from this marker); Dougherty Building (a few steps from this marker); Dr. A. J. Chandler (within shouting distance of this marker); Arthur E. Price (within shouting distance of this Price Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Chandler (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chandler.
Also see . . . Historic Downtown Chandler Self Guided Walking Tour. Scroll to Stop #4 for additional information on the Monroe Building. (Submitted on December 31, 2013.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2013, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2013, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.