Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1949 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 32° 17.963′ N, 90° 10.783′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North State Street (U.S. 51) and East Capitol Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the Old Capitol Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South State Street, Jackson MS 39201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Mississippi's Old Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); The Eagle and Bowman Hotels (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merci Train Memorial (about 400 feet away); GM&O Depot (about 400 feet away); Jackson Municipal Library Sit-In First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackson City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named Mississippi's Old Capitol (see nearby markers).
Also see . . .
1. Old Capitol Museum: History Happened Here. (Submitted on January 2, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
2. Wikipedia: Old Mississippi State Capitol. (Submitted on January 2, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
3. Mississippi Library Commission: The Old Capitol (1839-1903). (Submitted on January 2, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
Categories. • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 2, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.