Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
5th Corps, 2nd Division Position
On the afternoon of September 15, 1862, the two regular brigades of Sykes' Division, Fifth Army Corps went into position a few feet west of this road and parallel to it, where they remained until the morning of the 19th.
This tablet marks the right of the Division and of Buchanan's Brigade.
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number Q.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 27.976′ N, 77° 43.05′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Porterstown Road and Boonsboro Pike (Maryland Highway 34), on the right when traveling east on Porterstown Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fifth Army Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Middle Bridge (approx. half a mile away); 4th and 12th U.S. Infantry (approx. half a mile away); The Newcomer House (approx. half a mile away); Heart of the Civil War Early's Washington Raid (approx. half a mile away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. half a mile away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Sykes' (2nd) Division V Corps Markers
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on April 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. 2nd Division, V Corps. Sykes division consisted of two brigades of U.S. Regulars and a third with New York regiments. The division referred to themselves as "Sykes' Regulars." (Submitted on April 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.