Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lucius Q. C. Lamar
In 1853 Newton County elected Lamar to the State Legislature, starting his career which led to valuable service to the Confederacy, to the U.S. House and Senate, Secretaryship of the Interior, and to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Erected by U.S. Works Progress Administration and the State of Georgia. (Marker Number 12 G-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 33° 35.811′ N, 83° 51.542′ W. Marker is in Covington, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on Floyd Street 0 miles east of Church Street (Georgia Route 36), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Covington GA 30014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To The Confederate Dead of Newton County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newton County War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Covington Square (about 400 feet away); City Hall (about 700 feet away); Covington City School (about 700 feet away); The Female College (about 700 feet away); The Capture of Covington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Dead & Hospitals (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Also see . . .
1. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress entry for Lucius Q. C. Lamar. (Submitted on April 15, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Lucius Q. C. Lamar (1885 - 1888): Secretary of the Interior. (Submitted on April 15, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. L. C. Q. Lamar's marker development.
According to my uncle's law partner and local historian in Covington, GA, Charles R. King, this marker was produced by him, as a state employee, shortly after he graduated from college in the 1930's - his first employment in a depression economy. He indicated it was the first (perhaps of this type) cast for the State. And, this may have been the first one cast, although it is shown as #6. The marker is located a few doors up the street from Mr. King's ancestral home on Floyd Street. His father "Col. King" was a noted jurist in Covington for many years. These factors may have contributed to the selection of the subject and location of this marker, reflecting a history of a significant doctor of Jurisprudence.
— Submitted December 27, 2010, by William D. Hanson of Brandon, Florida.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,160 times since then and 4 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on April 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.