Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Capital City Guards

1885 - 1905

 
 
The Capital City Guards Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 9, 2016
1. The Capital City Guards Marker
Updated photo due to darkness of old one.
Inscription. In July 1885, the state Adjutant General authorized the organization of a black infantry company known as the Capital City Guards. Joseph L. Ligon was elected captain. Over the next 20 years, the Capital City Guards were a source of tremendous civic pride in the African-American community. They participated in formal inspections, drills, and encampments, as well as in Emancipation Day parades and annual commencement exercises at Tuskegee Institute. Drill meetings were held at Dorsette Hall at 216 Dexter Avenue.

At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War in 1898, the Capital City Guards, commanded by Capt. Abraham Calvin Caffey, helped form Co. A, Third Alabama Volunteer Regiment. Although Alabama's black regiment never saw foreign duty, it remained in service longer than any other volunteer unit in the state.

The Capital City Guards was the only black militia unit remaining in service in Alabama after the Spanish-American War, remaining on detached service until it was disbanded in 1905. After the demise of the Capital City Guards, over 60 years would pass before Alabama would again admit African Americans into its National Guard.
 
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 32° 22.643′ N, 86° 
The Capitol City Guards Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
2. The Capitol City Guards Marker Area
18.345′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Dexter Avenue and South Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling east on Dexter Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 244 Dexter Avenue, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chrisí Hot Dogs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Naval Heroes of the War of 1812 (about 300 feet away); The E. L. Posey Parking Lot (about 400 feet away); Montgomery's Slave Depots/Montgomery's Slave Traders (about 500 feet away); Montgomery County Circuit Court / Sit-Ins and Marches at the Montgomery County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); A County Older Than the State (about 500 feet away); Fred David Gray (about 500 feet away); Confederate States of America (CSA) Post Office Department (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Also see . . .  Black Militias in Alabama. (Submitted on March 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. African AmericansWar, Spanish-American
 
The view west on Dexter Avenue. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 9, 2016
3. The view west on Dexter Avenue.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   2. submitted on January 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   3. submitted on October 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement