Antigua Guatemala in Municipality of Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
Palace of the Captaincy General
Palacio de los Capitanes Generales
Palace of the Captaincy General of the Kingdom of Goathemala During 231 years this city was the metropolis of Central America
Location. 14° 33.375′ N, 90° 44.013′ W. Marker is in Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, in Municipality of Antigua Guatemala. Touch for map. This marker is found in the main corredor of the Palace of the Captaincy General. The street in front of the Palace is blocked off to vehicle traffic so it is only visible to pedestrians. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5ta Calle Poniente between 4ta and 5ta Avenidas, Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez 03001, Guatemala.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sculptor Quirio Cataño (within shouting distance of this marker); California Avocado Society Thanks Guatemala (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fountain of Antigua's Central Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Cathedral of Antigua Guatemala (within shouting distance of this marker); Adrian Recinos Born in this House Pedro Cortés y Larraz (about 90 meters away); Francisco Marroquín (about 90 meters away); First Rector and Graduate of the University of San Carlos (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Antigua Guatemala.
Regarding Palace of the Captaincy General. The Palace of the Captaincy General was initially constructed in 1558, 15 years after the designation of Santiago de los Caballeros as the capital of Guatemala in 1543. The Palace was used as the administrative and military headquarters for the region. After the 1773 earthquake and the moving of the capital to present-day Guatemala City, the Palace was emptied of most of its infrastructure and fell into disuse. The Palace was again used as a jail and police headquarters for the department during the 1900s until finally being renovated in 2010.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2014, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 17, 2014, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.