Near New Hope in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Walnut Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church
On July 19, 1847, Chistopher and Mary Harless Sears deeded two acres (with meeting house, brush-arbor, and camp-stand) to the Elders of the Walnut Grove Society of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for one penny. The Union Army burned the original church in 1862. A walnut tree with scars from the fire still bears walnuts. A ring used to tether horses during services has grown into the tree and is still visible. The original bell, hand-dug well, and pre-Civil War cemetery also remain.
Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 33.26′ N, 86° 22.574′ W. Marker is near New Hope, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of New Hope Cedar Point Road and Cambron Road, on the right when traveling east on New Hope Cedar Point Road Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 734 New Hope Cedar Point Road, New Hope AL 35760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vienna (New Hope) (approx. 1.6 miles away); Whitaker Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Pennsylvania Bell Tower (approx. 7.2 miles away); Becker Hall (approx. 7.2 miles away); Kate Duncan Smith - Daughters of the American Revolution School (approx. 7.2 miles away); Decatur County (approx. 7.2 miles away); Grant, Alabama: A Scenic Mountain Town (approx. 7.3 miles away); The History of Paint Rock, Alabama / Paint Rock Arrests in 1931 Began 'Scottsboro Boys' Cases (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Hope.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on January 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.