Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Abram Mordecai / Mordecai's Cotton Gin
Born October 24, 1755 in Pennsylvania; settled 1783 in Georgia where he became a successful trader among the Cusseta Indians. First U.S. citizen to settle (1785) in what became Montgomery County. Living and marrying among the Creeks, he established a trading house for skins, furs, and medicinal barks two miles from Line Creek. Alabama historian A.J. Pickett visited him in Dudleyville in 1847. Fiercely independent to the end, he died and was buried there two years later.
(Continued from other side)
Location. 32° 22.924′ N, 86° 18.197′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Columbus Street 0.1 miles west of North Decatur Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 454 Columbus Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lucas Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Lowndes Yancey (about 300 feet away); Lucas Tavern / Lafayette (about 300 feet away); Ordeman House Museum (about 400 feet away); Thompson Mansion (about 600 feet away); Ray W. Scott Jr. Founded Bass Anglers Movement (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montgomery and Electricity / Hydroelectricity in the River Region (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Laurel Oak Tree (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Also see . . . Abraham Mordecai bio. (Submitted on January 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.