Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pintlala in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School

 
 
Pintlala Grange Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 21, 2014
1. Pintlala Grange Hall Marker
Inscription.
(Side 1)
Pintlala Grange Hall

The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa 1875 on land adjacent to this marker. By the 1890s the popularity of the Grange began to wane. On July 21-23, 1891 the last meeting of the Alabama Granges took place in Pintlala. The Federal Land Bank was organized as the National Farm Loan Association of Pintlala on August 17, 1917. Grange Hall was the site of their regular meetings.

(Side 2)
Grange Hall School

From circa 1880 to 1922 school was held in one room of Grange Hall for seven months a year. Pintlala School was built and opened in 1923 and the Board of Education purchased the Grange property. The building was used for home economics classes and, from 1931 to 1952, served as home for Pintlala School caretakers. Over the years it was site of community dances, a meeting place for Boy and Girl Scouts, and the Pintlala Baptist Church (1960). Vacant and deteriorating, the building was given to the Landmarks Foundation and moved in 1978 to Old Alabama Town, Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Erected 2003 by the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location.
Grange Hall School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 21, 2014
2. Grange Hall School Marker
32° 10.571′ N, 86° 22.173′ W. Marker is in Pintlala, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Federal Road (County Route 24) 0.1 miles west of Mobile Highway (U.S. 31), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 Federal Road, Hope Hull AL 36043, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pintlala School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Road, 1805, (about 700 feet away); The Bethel Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern (approx. one mile away); Tankersley Rosenwald School (approx. 2.5 miles away); Abner McGehee / Early Alabama Entrepreneur (approx. 5.6 miles away); Teague Road (approx. 7.1 miles away); Lynching in America / Lynching in Letohatchee (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pintlala.
 
Categories. AgricultureEducationFraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 21, 2014
3. Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School Marker Area
Relocated Grange Hall in Old Alabama Town image. Click for full size.
By Google Street View
4. Relocated Grange Hall in Old Alabama Town
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 21, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement