Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Richardson's Division, Second Army Corps
Richardson's Division, Second Army Corps,
Maj. Gen. Israel B. Richardson, Commanding.
September 15-17, 1862.
On the night of Sept. 15, 1862, the division was posted at the foot of the ridge on the north side of this road, to hold the bridge across the Antietam and secure the crossing for the movement of Sept. 16. The division occupied this position until the morning of Sept. 17, when it was relieved by Morell's Division of the Fifth Corps.
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 34.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 28.133′ N, 77° 42.978′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Boonsboro / Shepherdstown Pike (State Highway 34), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in a tablet cluster on the east side of Antietam Creek along the Boonsboro Pike. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fifth Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); 5th Corps, 2nd Division Position (approx. Army Headquarters (approx. half a mile away); Pry Family Upheaval (approx. half a mile away); Second Army Corps (approx. 0.6 miles away); Middle Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Newcomer House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Heart of the Civil War (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. 1st Division, II Corps. General Richardson was possibly a descendant of Revolutionary War general Israel Putnam. (Submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 780 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.