Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danbury in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Schools and Education

– The Museum in the Streets –

 

—Danbury, Connecticut —

 
Schools and Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 30, 2013
1. Schools and Education Marker
Inscription.
Since its earliest days, the importance of education has been at the forefront of the development of the community. In 1763 the will of Comfort Starr left 800 pounds “for the support of a perpetual school in the centre of town.”
By 1769, a School Committee was administering the Starr Fund and had divided the area into school districts. Committeemen were appointed to oversee the schools in each district: Beaver brook, Great Plain, Stony Hill, Pembroke, King St., Boggs, Mill Plain, Long Ridge, Uptown, Downtown and Miry Brook. The Starr Fund was also used to establish a high school in 1869.
There were also many private means of schooling available in homes and churches throughout Danbury.
The Danbury Trade School catered to the needs of those going into local industries and was later replaced by the Henry Abbott Technical School.
There was a military school on Rose Hill but the most notable of boys’ schools was Danbury’s Wooster School founded in 1926. At one time there was a boarding school for girls located on West St. and Deer Hill Avenue that catered to the “cultivation of their intellectual, social and moral powers.”
The State Normal School built in 1903 on White Street prepared its students to become teachers. By 1905 it had graduated its first class of 24 students.
”The
Schools and Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 30, 2013
2. Schools and Education Marker
first village school was on Wooster St. between the early settlers’ graveyard and the old Danbury Jail. Scholars were thus constantly reminded on one hand of the certainty of death and, on the other, of the uncertainties of life.”
- James Montgomery Bailey
 
Erected by Danbury Museum & Historical Society. (Marker Number 16.)
 
Location. 41° 23.463′ N, 73° 26.912′ W. Marker is in Danbury, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and State Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in Elmwood Park. Marker is in this post office area: Danbury CT 06810, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Danbury (within shouting distance of this marker); The Danbury Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Circus Comes to Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Elmwood Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Danbury Raid (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldest Cemetery 1684 (about 300 feet away); Danbury 9-11 Memorial (about 300 feet away); Industrial Strength Danbury (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danbury.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 25, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement