Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Excelsior Parlor 31

Native Sons of the Golden West

 
 
Excelsior Parlor 31 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2011
1. Excelsior Parlor 31 Marker
Inscription. Excelsior Parlor #31 was organized near this site on June 28, 1884. The building was the site of See & Marshallís Circus lot in 1851, the Firemanís Hall from 1850 through 1862 and Mat Ryanís Saloon until purchased by the Native Sons of the Golden West. The conversion of the parlor into this two story building began in 1914. Construction was completed by the Native Son John Gubbins at a final cost of $7,715.67.

The new parlor building was dedicated on June 28, 1915, which was the 31st anniversary of this subordinate parlor, Excelsior #31. This parlor building has remained in constant use the last 95 years. The Brothers of Excelsior Parlor look forward to many more great years in this historical building.
 
Erected 2011 by Native Sons of the Golden West, James L. Shadle, Grand President and Excelsior Parlor #31 N.S.G.W. (Marker Number 2010-08.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 20.955′ N, 120° 46.415′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Court Street east of North Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Court Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Excelsior Parlor #31 Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2011
2. Excelsior Parlor #31 Hall and Marker
The marker is mounted on the front of the building to the left of the entrance door.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Constitution Saloon (a few steps from this marker); The Court House Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Sesquicentennial Court House Site (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam: The '49ers (within shouting distance of this marker); Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Steckler's Building (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Harris Clothing Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Stampfly's Tent, Republic House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Excelsior Parlor 31. Originally founded in Pioneer Hall in Jackson, Excelsior Parlor #31's Native Sons Hall is now also home to Ursula Parlor #1 (the mother parlor) of the Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
Past Grand President James Shadle with the Excelsior Parlor 31 Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2014
3. Past Grand President James Shadle with the Excelsior Parlor 31 Marker
PGP Shadle dedicated this marker in 2010.
Excelsior Parlor Member and Grand 3rd VP Candidate, Erik Christeson with Excelsior Parlor 31 Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2014
4. Excelsior Parlor Member and Grand 3rd VP Candidate, Erik Christeson with Excelsior Parlor 31 Marker
Excelsior Parlor 31 & The Women's Club of Jackson Building (Constitution Saloon) image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2014
5. Excelsior Parlor 31 & The Women's Club of Jackson Building (Constitution Saloon)
Both buildings are now owned by Excelsior Parlor NSGW, a doorway was opened between them and the Women's Club building is now the social hall (saloon) for Excelsior Parlor#31 NSGW and Ursula Parlor #1 NDGW.
Glass Edging on the Excelsior Parlor #31 Hall Entrance Door image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2011
6. Glass Edging on the Excelsior Parlor #31 Hall Entrance Door
(Jackson) Native Sons Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, April 7, 2016
7. (Jackson) Native Sons Hall Marker
Not yet mounted, currently in the basement.

"Native Sons Building
This building constructed in 1915
dedicated on the one-hundredth
anniversary of Excelsior Parlor No. 31.
Grand Parlor
Native Sons of the Golden West

June 24, 1984
William Bundesen, Grand President"
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on February 2, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   3, 4, 5. submitted on February 1, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.   6. submitted on May 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   7. submitted on April 14, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement