Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Arlington’s garden extended from the summer kitchen northward to the edge of the hill. Slaves raised a variety of vegetables, including asparagus, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. There were also a strawberry patch and herb garden. Chickens and guinea hens were kept at the north end of the garden. The privy serving the house was also located there.
This post-Civil War photograph shows a former Arlington slave sitting in the doorway of the North Slave Quarters.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 38° 52.892′ N, 77° 4.366′ W. Marker was in Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker could be reached from Sherman Road 0.2 miles south of Lincoln Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the north side of the Arlington House. Marker was in this post office area: Fort Myer VA 22211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A Garden Sustains (here, next to this marker); Dependence on Slave Labor (a few steps Arlington Estate, 1860 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierre Charles L’Enfant (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Randolph (within shouting distance of this marker); Guardian of a Nation's Heritage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Arlington Woodlands (within shouting distance of this marker); Garden to Graves (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington National Cemetery.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 297 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.