Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valley in Chambers County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lanier High School

 
 
Lanier High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 8, 2014
1. Lanier High School Marker
Inscription.
Side 1
The school was located at three different sites on Cherry Drive. Its beginning was in The Blue Hall Building adjacent to Goodsell Methodist Church. Later it was moved to the Dallas/Jackson Home and became the Jackson Hill School. In 1921, George H. Lanier provided funds to annex high school space. It became a part of Lanett City Schools, and the name changed to Lanier High. Lanier High was accredited in 1935 and six students constituted the first graduating class. The Darden family donated land and in 1937 a new school was built for grades 3-12 on the present site. Later, the Home Economics Building and Shop were added.

Side 2
Until 1959 Lanier High was the only school in The Greater Valley area that conferred high school diplomas on Black students. Reuben Dallas, S.Q. Bryant and L.B. Sykes were the principals who served from the early 1920s-1969. System-wide restructuring resulted in Lanier High losing grades 7-12, and in 1970 it became L.B. Sykes Lanett Jr. High with grades 6, 7 & 8. L.B. Sykes was accredited in 1974-75. The Lanier High building was demolished during the Summer of 1991, leaving the Home Economics Building as the only remnant of the school.
 
Erected 2003 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission And The Charter Foundation.
 
Location.
Lanier High School Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 8, 2014
2. Lanier High School Marker (reverse)
32° 52.338′ N, 85° 12.022′ W. Marker is in Valley, Alabama, in Chambers County. Marker is at the intersection of Cherry Drive and North 13th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Cherry Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1302 Cherry Drive, Lanett AL 36863, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Tyler (approx. one mile away in Georgia); a different marker also named Fort Tyler (approx. 1.1 miles away in Georgia); More Enduring Than Marble (approx. 1.1 miles away in Georgia); Battle of West Point (approx. 1.1 miles away in Georgia); "Daughters of the Confederacy" (approx. 1.1 miles away in Georgia); Fort Tyler Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away in Georgia); Gen. Robert C. Tyler, C.S.A. (approx. 1.6 miles away in Georgia).
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
Lanier High School Remnant Building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 8, 2014
3. Lanier High School Remnant Building.
Lanier High School Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 8, 2014
4. Lanier High School Cornerstone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement