Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middletown in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Sant Peter's Kierch”

 
 
"Saint Peter's Kierch" Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, April 12, 2008
1. "Saint Peter's Kierch" Marker
Inscription. Cornerstone laid July 13, 1767, and dedicated in 1769 by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, patriarch of American Lutheranism. Church erected on ground provided by George Fisher, the founder of Middletown, for annual rental of "one grain of wheat."
 
Erected 1969 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 12.06′ N, 76° 43.927′ W. Marker is in Middletown, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Union Street and High Street, on the left when traveling north on N. Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middletown PA 17057, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Revolutionary War Monument (here, next to this marker); Middletown (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burd Tombs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp George Gordon Meade (approx. mile away); Union Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Col. James Burd (approx. 2.5 miles away); Nuclear Accident at Three Mile Island (approx. 3.4 miles away); Revolutionary War Gun Factory (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middletown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg
Saint Peter's Kierch image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, April 12, 2008
2. Saint Peter's Kierch
. (Submitted on April 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Plaque on wall of church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, April 12, 2008
3. Plaque on wall of church
This tablet
is erected in grateful memory of
the services rendered by
David Gottlieb Ettley
and Christian Roth, who,

under a license issued to them in 1764 by
John Penn, Lieutenant governor
of the Province of Pennsylvania
and now preserved among the archives
of this church, collected the funds
necessary for the erection of
Sant Peters Kierch
still standing in
Middletown
in connection with his duties as
collector, David G. Ettley walked
from Middletown to Philadelphia.
The exact place where these
Patriots were buried is unknown.

Erected by the descendants
of David Gottlieb Ettley in
1923
Wall Plaque image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, April 12, 2008
4. Wall Plaque
Sant Peter's Kierch
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
Founded 1767
Sant Peter's Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, April 12, 2008
5. Sant Peter's Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,701 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement