Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Family Home of William H. H. Ross
Delaware's 27th and
youngest governor from
1851 - 1855
This structure evolved from the original brick two story Federal style house built by the John Tennent family. Tennent purchased this land about 1776 and sold it to the Governor's father in 1836. A wooden section of the original structure is located in the back right corner.
To celebrate completion of their home, Governor and Mrs. Ross hosted a house warming part October, 1860.
Governor Ross was instrumental in extending the railroad from Dover to Seaford. He took advantage of this economic opportunity to ship goods to the city since the rails passed through the middle of his 1398 acres. A small "whistle stop" railroad station was constructed across from his house.
Can you identify three characteristics of Italian Villa style structures?
by promoting air circulation throughout the house
• Arched windows and doors
• Decorative brackets under the eaves
The Interior of this thirteen room house features:
• Other Victorian Period furniture, artwork, wall coverings, lighting, and interior wooden shutters
• Original, detailed engraved ceiling moldings and medallions
• Personal objects interpreting everyday 19th century life
The Seaford Historical Society owns and maintains 20 acres of the original plantation.
Erected by Seaford Historical Society.
Location. 38° 39.436′ N, 75° 37.121′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from Ross Station Road. Touch for map. The marker is at The Ross Mansion at 23669 Ross Station Road, formerly 1101 N. Pine Street Extended. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slave Quarter (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Ross Mansion (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seaford Hundred (approx. 0.8 miles away); Seaford Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. one mile away); Stein Highway (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
Also see . . .
1. Governor William H. H.Ross. (Submitted on February 12, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. Governor Ross Mansion and Plantation - Seaford Historical Society. (Submitted on February 12, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
1. Southern Sympathy
The pamphlet available at the mansion says that "Ross was a southern sympathizer who aided the Confederacy during the Civil War. His son, Caleb, joined a Virginia Cavalry unit. To avoid arrest, Governor Ross fled to England."
— Submitted February 12, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 11, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.