Atlas District in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Brickyards to Buildings
Hub, Home, Heart
— Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
The streets to your right predate Trinidad's rowhouses. Around 1900 John Fisher operated a wholesale candy business in his home at 1008 Florida Avenue. Sons John and Edward Fisher continued the family business which lasted until 1941
The Arthur Nock family owned the large house nearby at 1001 K Street. After hardware salesman Arthur died in 1930, his widow Louise took in boarders. During the Great Depression (1929-1941), hungry drifters alerted by a mark on the back door left by an earlier hobo, knew to knock for something to eat.
Between 1945 and 1960, many white Washingtonians left the city. Some wanted newer, suburban-style housing. Others,
Construction foreman Charles "Bob" Martin and family moved to Trinidad Avenue in 1948, and railroad dining car steward Joseph Strowder and his wife Korea arrived on Queen Street in 1950. They joined other newcomers to create community, leading DC's first African American Campfire Girls, a Boy Scout troop, the Trinidad Drum and Bugle Corps, and Mount Olivet Heights Civic Association.
To reach Sign 10, proceed on Florida Avenue, turn right on 13th Street, and then turn left on H Street.
Trains and streetcars created the Near Northeast neighborhood around H Street. The B&O Railroad's arrival in 1835 made this a center of energetic, working-class life. Workmen living north of the Capitol staffed the Government Printing Office, ran the trains, stocked the warehouses, and built Union Station. When a streetcar arrived linking H Street to downtown, new construction quickly followed.
H Street bustled with shops and offices run by Jewish, Italian, Lebanese, Greek, Irish, and African American families. During the segregation era, which lasted into the 1950s, African Americans came to H Street for its department stores and sit-down restaurants. Most businesses welcomed
Then came the civil disturbances in the wake of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination in 1968. Decades of commercial decline followed. Just off H Street, though, the strong residential community endured. The 2005 opening of the Atlas Performing Arts Center signaled a revival, building evocatively on H Street's past. Hub, Home, Heart is a bridge to carry you from that past to the present.
Hub, Home, Heart: Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail is an Official Washington, DC Walking Trail. The self-guided, 3.2-mile tour of 18 signs offers about two hours of gentle exercise. Free keepsake guidebooks in English or Spanish are available at businesses and institutions along the way. For more on DC neighborhoods, please visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Greater H Street Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 54.217′ N, 76° 59.555′ W. Marker is in Atlas District, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Florida Avenue Northeast and 10th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on Florida Avenue Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Education for All (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leonard M. Elstad (about 700 feet away); Laurent Clerc (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chapel Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edward Miner Gallaudet (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Rose Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Changing Faces of H Street (approx. ¼ mile away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Sports •
More. Search the internet for Brickyards to Buildings.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2014, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.