San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
A Zoo, a Monkey, and a Mansion Here Too!
Lake Chabot Historical Walk
In 1904, William Dingee, then head of CCWC, tore down the superintendant’s cottage and replaced it with the “Slate House” designed by Oakland architect Walter J. Matthew. Black slate shingles from Dingee’s Eureka quarry covered its roof and sides, George Logan of the People’s Water Company became the first superintendent to live in the mansion. His stepson, Walter Hood, watched wide-eyed from the hill as the lake water “stood up” during the earthquake of 1906.
Did you know that when Anthony Chabot died in 1888, the funeral procession from 12th and Webster in downtown Oakland to the Mountain View Cemetery was the longest in Oakland’s history up to that time, and possible to the present?
Erected 2012 by East Bay Regional Park District.
Location. 37° 43.819′ N, 122° 7.44′ W. Marker Touch for map. The one mile Lake Chabot Historical Walk begins at the parking lot at the end of Estudillo Avenue. This marker is about ¾ mile from the beginning of the trail. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1799 Estudillo Avenue, San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tunnel No. 1 Control Shaft (a few steps from this marker); Yem-Po: Chinese Labor Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Taming the Waters’ Flow (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Of Fins and Flippers (about 700 feet away); Chabot Dam (approx. 0.2 miles away); Transporting the Water (approx. 0.2 miles away); To Build a Dam (approx. 0.2 miles away); Filtration Basins (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Leandro.
Also see . . . Lake Chabot Historical Walk. A walking tour of the walk with historical photos. Scroll down to view a photo of the mansion. (Submitted on February 21, 2014.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.