Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
John Douglass Brown House
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
Erected 1976 by John Alexander Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Location. 38° 48.231′ N, 77° 2.742′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Prince Street and South Saint Asaph Street, on the right when traveling west on Prince Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 517 Prince Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington's Tenement House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stabler-Leadbeater House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bank of Potomac Building (about 400 feet away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church The Confederate Statue (about 400 feet away); The Lyceum (about 500 feet away); The Marshall House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . . John Douglass Brown House. John Alexander Chapter, NSDAR (Submitted on February 14, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
1. John Douglass Brown House
"Built around 1775 by Patrick Murray, who acquired the quarter block on which it stands on December 20, 1774, this house is typical of most of the better homes built in Alexandria during George Washington's day. The framed house was advertised by Murray in 1792 as having four rooms and three fireplaces on the first floor, two rooms on the second floor, and a kitchen annex. Purchased by John Douglas Brown in 1816 and owned by one family thereafter, it is perhaps the least altered of the surviving early buildings." -- Extraordinary Alexandria G. Washington Tour.
— Submitted February 14, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on February 15, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 14, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.