Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Humble in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Humble

 
 
City of Humble Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 15, 2014
1. City of Humble Marker
Inscription. A pioneer oil boom town. Originated as crossroads community named for settler Pleasant Smith Humble (1835?-1912), who lived here before 1889, hewing his timber into railroad ties, mining gravel from his land, keeping store, and serving as justice of the peace. Neighbors included the Bender, Durdin, Isaacks, Lee, Slaughter, and Williams families. Economic bases were farms and sawmills. The post office opened 1902.

In 1904 C. E. Barrett (1866-1926) drilled for oil in this area, securing small production on Moonshine Hill. On Jan. 7, 1905, he brought in the No. 2 Beaty Well which yielded 8,500 barrels a day, opening the great boom. From a village of 700, Humble grew at once into a town of 20,000. Field production-- the largest in Texas for the year 1905-- was 15,594,923 barrels of oil. The field was named for the town. A group of its operators, including Ross S. Sterling, later (1931-33) governor of Texas, in 1911 incorporated a new oil company named for the field, thus spreading into the annals of world commerce the town's name.

Production from several strata here exceeded the total for fabulous Spindletop by 1946. Known as the greatest salt dome field, Humble still produces and the town for which it was named continued to thrive.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey
City of Humble Chamber of Commerce Building image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 15, 2014
2. City of Humble Chamber of Commerce Building
The marker is in front of this building, near the street
Committee. (Marker Number 10700.)
 
Location. 29° 59.93′ N, 95° 16.031′ W. Marker is in Humble, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and Bender Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Chamber of Commerce building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 W Main St, Humble TX 77338, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Humble Lodge No. 979, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lambrecht's Artesian Well (approx. 0.6 miles away); Humble Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Moonshine Hill (approx. 2 miles away).
 
Regarding City of Humble. Exxon Company, was originally Humble Oil Company, because it began in and got its name from this town.
 
Also see . . .
1. City of Humble Website. (Submitted on February 16, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. City of Humble in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on February 16, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. City of Humble in Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 16, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
4. History of Humble, Texas. (Submitted on February 16, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
City of Humble Chamber of Commerce image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 15, 2014
3. City of Humble Chamber of Commerce

 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Embossed Post Card from Long Ago image. Click for full size.
Courtsy of The University of Houston Digital Library via Wikipedia Commons
4. Embossed Post Card from Long Ago
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 16, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement