Hutchinson in McLeod County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Cupola Restoration Project
— 1914-1994 —
and Franklin Street
The structure served as a multipurpose facility which housed the municipal offices, police and fire department, a courtroom, an auditorium complete with stage and the first elegant ladies public restroom in the city. This City Hall was a point of pride for Hutchinson.
The building was built at a cost of $15,000 by Madison Bros. of Minneapolis. It was dedicated on January 1, 1915. E.C. Bell was the architect.
This cupola held the bell which summoned the firefighters and sounded the 10 p.m. curfew. The fire department moved to new quarters in 1961. The bell is now located at the Fire Station at Third Avenue and Jefferson Street.
The City Hall was demolished in 1994. Ron Black, son of former Mayor D.J. Black, rescued the cupola from destruction. The Hutchinson Woman's Club, led by Elaine Black, spearheaded the renovation and preservation of the cupola as a cherished piece of Hutchinson's history.
The cupola is placed here to honor the dedicated public officials who gave of their time and talent to serve their community.
1914 - 1993
F.J. Zila 1913-14 • H.J. Langfitt 1915 • D.H. Chamberlain 1916-17 • A.G. Kraus 1918 • C.E. Kester 1919-20 • P.P. Pendergast 1921 • E.L. Higgins 1922-23 • C.E. Kester 1924-27 • H.A. Dobratz 1928-32 • W. H. Day 1933-34 • R. I. Sheppard 1935-36 • Grant W. Dwinnell 1937-40 • L.P. Sederstrom 1941-45 • Warren B. Clay 1946-47 • Willard Sahr 1948-52 • Harold R. Popp 1953-58 • Irvin Burich 1958-60 • Shelby Svendsen 1960-61 • Ford Rolf 1961-65 • Leonard Johnson 1965 • Earl Fitzloff 1965-67 • Donald Kost 1967-73 • D.J. Black 1973-78 • Ralph Westlund 1979-81 • James DeMeyer 1981-83 • Robert Stearns 1983-85 • Paul Ackland 1985-93
serving under this Cupola
1914 - 1961
F.W. Baseman 1909-16 • Herman Lange 1917-18 • Frank Delong 1918-22 • Herman Lange 1922-24 • John F. Riesberg 1924-54 • Walter Korngiebel 1954-58 • Frank Engelhart 1958-71
G.F.W.C. Woman's Club of Hutchinson, the oldest women's organization in Hutchinson, was organized in 1911.
The Woman's Club has sponsored many community improvement projects and the restoration of
The Hutchinson club is affiliated with the General Federation of Women's Clubs which is an international organization. The G.F.W.C. is the oldest and largest volunteer organization in the world.
Location. 44° 53.69′ N, 94° 22.137′ W. Marker is in Hutchinson, Minnesota, in McLeod County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street North (State Highway 15) and Franklin Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north. Marker is in Firemen's Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hutchinson MN 55350, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chief Little Crow (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McLeod County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hutchinson Stockade (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Legion Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Chief Little Crow (approx. 6.3 miles away); St Joseph's Church and School (approx. 7.4 miles away); Daniel A. Cross (approx. 7.9 miles away); St. Columban Cemetery (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hutchinson.
Also see . . . Lost Hutchinson: City Hall. Hutchinson Leader. (Submitted on February 16, 2014.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Cupola Restoration Project.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on February 16, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.