Newville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School
The first known school in Newville was at Center Church in 1881. When Grange Hall was built in 1891, church services and school were held on the first floor. In 1913, Grange Hall was torn down and the wood was used to build a school. Newville Public School became Newville Jr. High in 1920. In 1923, it was decided to build an up-to-date modern brick school. Newville High School was opened in 1929. The school building at Concord was moved to Newville in 1935. In 1936, the school building burned. A new structure was built with five rooms and a large auditorium. In 1938, the Works Progress Administration built the Vocational Building. When bathrooms were added in 1944, Newville School became one of the most modern buildings in Henry County. The Newville High School band was organized in 1961. In 1968, Newville High School was closed.
In 1894, the first known black school in Newville was organized and a building was built. The Jacksonian Enterprise School opened in May of 1894. Parents and patrons financially supported this school. The school library contained more books than any school in this part of the country. The school grounds included Store’s Grove, a circular grove of
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Newville.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 31° 25.265′ N, 85° 20.167′ W. Marker is in Newville, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on North Broad Street (Alabama Route 173) 0.1 miles south of North Railroad Street (County Road 7), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 North Broad Street, Newville AL 36353, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers (a few steps from this marker); Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success (approx. 4.8 miles away); Headland World War I Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away); Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square (approx. 4.8 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Headland (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Newville Wikipedia Entry. (Submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Rosenwald School. Wikipedia (Submitted on March 1, 2014, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 527 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.