Stinnett in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
As a result of soaring beef prices cattle ranching proliferated in this region of the U.S. in the 1880s. The Texas Panhandle, with its open range and expansive grasslands became the preferred winter grazing site for cattle migrating south from Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas. This seasonal influx of cattle disrupted the practice of area ranchers who went to great lengths to respect adjacent ranch boundaries.
Members of the Panhandle Stock Association pooled their resources and in 1882-85 erected barbed wire barriers along a 200-mile stretch of the Panhandle including Hutchinson County to prevent cattle from drifting south into the fertile Canadian River valley.
The "Drift Fence" worked too well in the winters of 1886 and 1887 when thousands of cattle moving south ahead of strong storms stalled at the fence line and froze or were trampled to death. The staggering losses prompted federal and state legislation which limited fencing on public lands and the "Drift Fence" was removed or incorporated into private ranch fencing.
Erected by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1286.)
Location. 35° 57.037′ N, 101° 23.939′ W. Marker is in Stinnett, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 207 and County Road H, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 207. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stinnett TX 79083, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Battle of Adobe Walls (approx. 4.9 miles away); Isaac McCormick Cottage (approx. 8.8 miles away); Hutchinson County Courthouse (approx. 8.9 miles away); Site of Old Zulu Stockade (approx. 12.7 miles away); Site of Cator Buffalo Camp (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Categories. • Animals • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Marvin Seibert of Ketchikan, Alaska. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Marvin Seibert of Ketchikan, Alaska. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.