Bradley in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church
This church was organized 1779-1780 by Dr. Thomas Clark (d. 1791), who had emigrated from Ireland to N.Y. in 1764. Clark moved to this area permanently about 1786, preaching here, at Long Cane (now Lower Long Cane), and at Little Run. He is the father of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian church in the South.
The first church, then called Cedar Creek, was a log building 2 mi. SE. The congregation was renamed Cedar Springs in 1790. It moved here and built a frame church in 1791. The cemetery includes graves of several ministers, including Thomas Clark, and many early members. The present brick church was built in 1853.
Erected 2006 by Members and Friends of the Church. (Marker Number 24-18.)
Location. 34° 4.807′ N, 82° 18.119′ W. Marker is in Bradley, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker is on Cedar Springs Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bradley SC 29819, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Constitution Tree Parsons Mountain World War II Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Parsons Mountain (approx. 3.4 miles away); Patrick H. Bradley (approx. 3.9 miles away); Historical Promised Land Community (approx. 4.9 miles away); Battle of Long Cane (approx. 6.2 miles away); Long Canes Massacre (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Long Canes Massacre (approx. 6.4 miles away); Long Cane Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Lebanon Presbyterian Church (approx. 7 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker replaces one erected in 1947. That marker (see picture below) was formerly located at the intersection of Cedar Springs Road and McCormick Highway (South Carolina Highway 10). It read:
Cedar Spring Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
4.1 miles W. is Cedar Spring Church, organized, 1782. At site on Cedar Creek about 2 miles S. E. of present site, by the Rev. Thos. Clark, M.D., with whom a part of the Scotch members had come from Ballibay, Ireland, in 1764. There Presbytery of Carolinas and Georgia was organized, Feb. 24, 1790; and second Presbytery, Apr. 8, 1801. The present building was erected in 1853.
Erected by members and friends of the church, 1947.
Also see . . .
1. Early Records of Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church. The following record is a transcript made from the original session book of Cedar Springs Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (Abbeville District) by Dr. Nora Davis in 1958. (Submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Find a Grave: Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church. This church was organized 1779-1780 by Dr. Thomas Clark (d. 1791), who had emigrated from Ireland to N.Y. in 1764. (Submitted on March 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. The History of Long Cane A.R.P. Church (with a Biography of Dr. Thomas Clark). Long Cane was originally a fort, (Fort Long Cane) for the protection of settlers from the Cherokee Indians who had been pushed back beyond the mountains of North Carolina, in Pickens and Oconee counties. (Submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. An Historical Sketch of the Long Cane A.R.P. Church. Fearful of more Indians and of worse barbarity, following the Cherokee and the Creek massacres, the people of the Long Canes settlement took refuge in such neighboring fortified places as they were able to reach, forts prepared for just such emergencies. (Submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Cedar Springs Historic District. The Cedar Springs Historic District, located on the boundary of Greenwood and Abbeville counties in western South Carolina, contains three buildings that remain of the once prosperous farming community of Cedar Springs. Included are the Frazier-Pressly House (ca. 1852-1856), a massive three-story plantation house; the Cedar Springs Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (ca. 1853), a two-story brick meetinghouse with cemetery; and a two-story log building (ca. 1820), now covered in shiplap siding and a standing-seam metal roof, which is believed (Submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. Cedar Springs Historic District. Cedar Springs Historic District is a historic district in Abbeville and Greenwood Counties in South Carolina. It has three contributing properties. (Submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
7. Conservation Cabin Marker. Cabin now located in Abbeville that was built in 1825 in Cedar Springs. (Submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
8. Frazier-Pressly House. Frazier-Pressley House is an octagon house that is a contributing property in the Cedar Springs Historic District, in Abbeville, South Carolina. (Submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
9. List of Octagon Houses (U.S.). A goodly number of octagon houses were built in the United States before the American Civil War, and of these, at least 68 are U.S. Registered Historic Places (RHPs) and survive to this day. (Submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
I am a descendant of Thomas Clark living in Maryland. Actually, I am descended from his brother John Clark back in Salem New York. I am not completely sure. My
— Submitted February 11, 2009, by William D Clark of Kingsville, Maryland.
2. Cedar Springs Historic District - National Register Nomination Form (1982)
The Cedar Springs Historic District is a rural community on the boundary of Abbeville and Greenwood counties consisting of three major buildings, a church and two residences. The buildings are believed to have been built between ca. 1820 and 1856. The district retains the ambiance of the mid-nineteenth century; only the paving of the road and the construction of a small frame grocery/filling station mark the ingress of contemporary culture. The buildings
1. The Stagecoach Inn is a two-story log building, believed to date from ca. 1820. The building has a gable roof covered in standing-seam metal. A shed-roofed porch along the original facade (north elevation) has been enclosed; entrance is effected by a porch-sheltered doorway on the east elevation. Two six-over-six windows flank this doorway, with two similar windows on the second story. The enclosed one-story porch on the north elevation has an attached brick flue and irregular fenestration; two six-over-six windows are on the second story of this elevation. The west elevation features a massive brick chimney laid in Flemish bond. The first story of this elevation has a small shed-roofed ell to the left of the chimney and a single window to the right. The second story has six-over-six windows on the first story and two six-over-six windows on the second story.
The Stagecoach Inn has seen several alterations. The log walls are now sheathed in shiplap siding.
2. The Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church is a large rectangular, brick building with a hip roof. The brickwork is common bond with every sixth course bonding. The foundation is brick and stone. The building was reputedly constructed in 1853, replacing an earlier building. The facade (east elevation) has two bays, with matching doorways having double six-panel
The south and north elevations have six bays each. The first story windows are nine-over-nine and lave louvered shutters. The gallery windows have been plastered over, except for the easternmost windows, which have been replaced with six-over-six sash. The south elevation has a separate single entrance providing access to the gallery, instead of a window in the first story easternmost bay.
A single story, gable-roofed brick wing was added to the rear of the church in the 1940s.
3. The Frazier-Pressly House is a three-story, stuccoed brick building, believed to have been constructed as a residence for Captain James W. Frazier in 1852-1856. The building is composed of three octagonal sections connected by a hallway that circumscribes the central three-story octagon with a three-story portico defining the facade (south elevation) and a two-story stuccoed brick ell at the rear.
The portico of the Frazier-Presley House features four three-story brick pillars with pilaster responds at the junctures with the house. The brick is laid in a diagonal bias, with vertical channeling
Entrance to the house is by six doorways with multi-pane transoms and sidelights; two such entrances at each floor on either side of the central octagon lead to the circumscribing hallway. A seventh entrance is on the forward facet of the central octagon at the third story. each facet of the three octagons features a central window on each floor. These windows are nine-over-nine with stuccoed drip capes. A corbelled brick cornice crowns the second stories of the outermost octagons and the third story of the central octagon. A window's walk originally surmounted the central octagon; this feature and the balconies that originally topped the outermost octagons have deteriorated so that only traces remain. Five brick chimneys, repeating the brick channeling and the stepped diamond panels of the pillars of the portico rise above the roof.
The two-story stuccoed brick ell at the rear of the house has a shed roof. This ell is two bays deep and two wide. The exterior walls between this ell and the two outermost octagonal sections are frame, sheathed in board-and-batten siding, with doorways on the first story. Four octagonal porthole windows, which light the third floor hallway, appear above the shed roof of the
The house has eleven major rooms, all of which enter onto the central circumscribing hall. Each floor of each octagon is a single room. The third floor of the central octagon was used as a doctor's office by Dr. Joseph L. Pressly in the later nineteenth century. The walls of the house are plaster and feature a decorative crown molding. Twin-run staircases rise at the rear of the central octagon, coming to a common landing on each floor. The fireplaces, located on the north wall of each octagon, feature wooden mantelpieces with engaged columns or pilasters.
The Frazier-Pressly House is surrounded by ornamental trees and shrubs; a cedar-lined drive leads to the house. Surviving buildings include a windmill, several barns and sheds, and a well. The house itself is in poor condition with marked deterioration of the bricks at many points.
4. The Cedar Springs Grocery is a small one-story, frame building, built as a grocery and filling station by a Mr. Rogers ca. 1955. The building has a gable roof, a shed-roofed porch, and a shed-roofed rear ell.
Significance: The Cedar Springs Historic District, located on the boundary of Greenwood and Abbeville counties in western South Carolina, contains three buildings that remain of the once prosperous farming community
Additional Information: In 1791 the Cedar Springs ARP Church congregation, formerly the Cedar Creek congregation (formed ca. 1779-1780), moved two miles northwest to their present site and constructed a frame house of worship. The present brick church was reputedly built in 1853. A local historian theorizes that small farmers settled near the church in the late eighteenth century. By the beginning of the nineteenth century the less successful farmers moved on, leaving a group of families who accumulated rich land holdings and developed into a local planter class. Other plantations once existed in the immediate area; however, the Frazier-Pressly House is the only residence remaining of the community once centered around cedar Springs A.R.P. Church.
The two-story gable-roofed log building adjacent to the Frazier-Pressly House was probably built ca. 1820. Local tradition holds that the building was a stagecoach stop and inn on the road from Augusta, Georgia, to Abbeville and Edgefield. It is likely that the stopping place was established in this location because of the community already developed around the Cedar Springs Church.
Architecture: The Cedar Springs Historic District includes one of South Carolina's unique nineteenth century houses, the Frazier-Pressly House. The Octagon style residential architecture that flourished in the United States from 1848 to 1860 was inspired by the writing of Orson Squire Fowler, whose book, A Home for All or the Gravel Wall and Octagon Mode of Building, was published in 1848. The Zelotes Holmes House in Laurens is one of South Carolina's few Fowler inspired
— Submitted July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
3. Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church
Cedar Springs, Abbeville Co. — This historic and ancient church dates from the year 1780. It was about this time that Rev. Thomas Clark, M.D., came from Salem, N.Y., to preach to that part of his congregation which had emigrated from Ballobay, Ireland, in 1764 and settled in Abbeville District, S.C.
The congregation was likely organized in the year 1780, though it was not till the year 1786 that Dr. Clark settled as pastor permanently of Cedar Springs and Long Cane. This good and truly great man labored here for six years. It was his privilege to see the Presbytery of the Carolinas and Georgia organized on the 24th of February, 1790. No record can be found of his installation over Cedar Springs and Long Cane, though
The next pastor of Cedar Springs and Long Cane was Rev. Alexander Porter. He was installed April 2, 1798. The congregations at this time were large. The membership was large in the year 1802—520 communicants were reported. At the communion occasions large numbers attended from other churches—from Due West, Rocky Springs and Generostee. Tradition says that 760 observed the sacrament at one time. These communions were great spiritual feasts to the people. They covered five days. Thursday was fast day. Friday applicants for membership were received or kept back, Saturday and Sabbath's services were especially devoted to the sacrament, and Monday was thanksgiving. Many of the important transactions of the Second Presbytery are identified with Cedar Springs and Long Cane. Here the original Presbytery was organized,
Mr. Porter continued pastor of Cedar Springs until 1813. The next year Mr. Porter moved with a number of his congregation to Ohio. For a number of years Cedar Springs was vacant and the church suffered just as her sister congregation of Long Cane, on account of a destitution of ordinances.
In the year 1817 Rev. John T. Pressly was ordained and installed pastor. This proved to be an excellent choice. Dr. Pressly's pastorate was abundantly blessed. He is described as being "a man untiring in labor, punctual to every engagement, and faithful in preaching the gospel and watching for souls." Cedar Springs under his ministry reached the zenith of her glory. She numbered five hundred communicants without the help of Long Cane. It was at this period that the church gave three young men to the ministry — Rev. Samuel P. Pressly, D.D., Rev. E.E. Pressly, D.D., and Rev. James P. Pressly, D.D. Dr. John T. Pressly conducted the Theological Seminary here at Cedar Springs. He was the sole professor. Among the numerous active and useful members were the Fosters,
— Submitted July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 5,562 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2008, by Harriet Creswell of Bradley, South Carolina. 2. submitted on April 17, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on July 13, 2008, by Harriet Creswell of Bradley, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on April 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 10. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 11. submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 12. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 13, 14. submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 25. submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 26, 27, 28, 29, 30. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 31, 32, 33. submitted on March 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 34, 35, 36, 37, 38. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46. submitted on March 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 47. submitted on April 4, 2011, by Harriet Creswell of Bradley, South Carolina. 48. submitted on May 22, 2011, by Harriet Creswell of Bradley, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.