Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple
From 1808 to 1809, the basement chapel was used by Mother Elizabeth Seton: in this chapel, she and her followers took their first vows. In 1829, the Oblate Sisters of Providence were founded here by Father Jourbert.
In 1916, the interior of the main chapel was remodeled - the altar was moved further back into the apse; tile flooring and oak pews were installed in the nave. At the same time, the chapel's steeple was removed.
In 1959-1960, the chapel was exteriorly renovated by James Cox & Son, Inc.
Location. 39° 17.739′ N, 76° 37.416′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from North Paca Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of St. Mary's Seminary Chapel, which cannot be seen from the street. It can be accessed from the parking lot of St. Mary's Spiritual Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 North Paca Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Seminary (here, next St. Mary's Seminary Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Mother Seton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Orchard Street Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oblate Sisters of Providence (about 700 feet away); Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American Experience (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Eager Howard (approx. 0.2 miles away); G. Krug & Son (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,110 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.