San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of San Angelo
A product of 1870s religious zeal on this Indian-menaced frontier. After flood destroyed area's early community of Ben Ficklin (5 mi. s), closing its Sunday school, this church was organized and chartered by the West Texas Methodist Conference in November of 1882. On this site was erected a forty- by sixty-foot frame building with a cupola - said to be the first Protestant church house between Mason and El Paso.
The founding pastor was the rugged frontiersman, Parson Andrew Jackson Potter (1830-1895), succeeded in 1886 by the dynamic Rev. Arthur E. Rector (1855-1955).
Rapid growth soon necessitated a twenty-foot addition for nursery and choir loft. The building became a community center for various social and religious occasions. Miss Mary West (later Mrs. J. B. Taylor) organized the first choir. Other leading musicians: Miss Amie Cornick, J. R. Sanders, Mrs. L. B. Horton, Mrs. F. O. Perry, and Mrs. Mary Deal Metz.
The frame church was replaced in 1904 by a large masonry building in the square "Akron" style then in vogue. The present Gothic edifice was completed in 1950. Four-story educational building was added, 1962.
This church has excelled in education, sacred music, and missionary activities over the years.
Erected 1972 by Texas State Historical
Location. 31° 27.769′ N, 100° 26.123′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Beauregard Avenue and Oakes Street, on the right when traveling east on Beauregard Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 East Beauregard Avenue, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Heart Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Elmer Kelton Memorial Mural (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Angelo Lodge No. 570, A.F.&A.M. (about 400 feet away); J. J. Rackley Building (about 500 feet away); Chadwick Building (about 500 feet away); Myers Drug (about 500 feet away); O.C. Fisher Federal Building and United States Courthouse (about 500 feet away); 1 East Twohig Avenue (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church, San Angelo. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.