Eureka in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Samuel W. McFarland Block
Mr. McFarland was an independent logging contractor and real estate developer. From 1869 to 1897, he was the foreman for the Dolbeer and Carson lumber mills. The first house located at 905 Third Street was completed January 27, 1885 and was immediately occupied by Dr. W.H. Wallase (a physician surgeon) to be available for any mishaps at the mill.
911, 917 and 931 Third Street were all built in the summer of 1895.
Architecturally, this is one of the most significant streetscapes in Eureka. Queen Anne Style is represented by multiple gables, pattern shingles, lathe-turned columns, Eastlake colored glass and tall narrow windows.
Five of these Victorians have been restored and maintained by Carter Properties, as well as other historic buildings in this neighborhood.
Erected 2007 by Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 40° 48.27′ N, 124° 9.659′ W. Marker is in Eureka, California, in Humboldt County. Marker Touch for map. The marker is in a little red-brick enclosure on the northwest corner of 3rd and K. The houses are strung out from there to the west. Marker is in this post office area: Eureka CA 95501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Carson House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Josiah Gregg Expedition (approx. 0.2 miles away); N.S.G.W. Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buhne Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Hose Company Number 4 (approx. ¼ mile away); Eureka City Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Arkley Center for the Performing Arts (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Bernard Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.