Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

His Lordship’s Kindness

 
 
His Lordship's Kindness Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 1, 2004
1. His Lordship's Kindness Marker
Inscription. Name derives from 7000-acre grant by Lord Baltimore in 1703. Although present house, known as Poplar Hill for many years, may date from latter part of 18th century, it was believed built c. 1728 for Anne Talbot, niece of 14th Earl of Shrewsbury upon her marriage to Henry Darnall III, attorney general of Maryland 1744-1756. Robert Darnall, Justice of Prince George's County, lived here c. 1770-1803. From 1821 to 1853 it was home of Robert D. Sewall, member of the county's levy court.
 
Erected 1977 by National Society of Descendants of Lords of the Maryland Manors.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 38° 46.8′ N, 76° 50.738′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on His Lordship's Kindness 0.1 miles west of Woodyard Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton MD 20735, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slaves’ Infirmary [on His Lordship’s Kindness] (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Airy (approx. 1.6 miles away); Cat and Mouse
His Lordship's Kindness image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 1, 2004
2. His Lordship's Kindness
The home is about two-tenths south of the marker.
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Restless Time (approx. 1.8 miles away); U.S. Air Force Special Air Missions (approx. 2.6 miles away); “Melwood Park” (approx. 2.7 miles away); Crucifix (approx. 3 miles away); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Also see . . .  Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness. (Submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional comments.
1.
In 1946, David Bruce, a prominent diplomat, purchased the property, but sold it in 1950 to Royd Sayers a retired Georgetown physician, and his wife Edna Sayers. In 1954, the Archdiocese of Washington purchased the property on which they established Resurrection Cemetery on 100 acres. The remaining 136 acres were sold to John and Sara Walton. The Waltons were the last family that made their home at Poplar Hill and it was this family that created the Foundation and put the mechanisms in place to open up this 220-year-old house to the public as a historic house museum.
View from Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, November 2007
3. View from Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness
    — Submitted December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.

2. Landmark status
His Lordship's Kindness was designated a National Historic Landmark on May 10, 1970.
    — Submitted March 3, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.

 
Categories. Antebellum South, USColonial EraNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
His Lordship's Kindness image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 10, 2012
4. His Lordship's Kindness
has been designated a
Registered National
Historic Landmark
under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States.
U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service
1970
Slaves' Infirmary on His Lordship's Kindness image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, November 2007
5. Slaves' Infirmary on His Lordship's Kindness
Peacock image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 10, 2012
6. Peacock
One of the attractions found at His Lordship's Kindness are the free-ranging peacocks.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,733 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2014, by Geoff Marsh of Beltsville, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   4. submitted on June 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5. submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   6. submitted on June 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement