Rutledge in Crenshaw County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The first elected county officials were: George W. Thagard, Probate Judge; James M. Lawrence, Tax Collector; W.T. Massey, Tax Assessor; John R. Snow, Sheriff; F.M. Cody, Circuit Clerk; and John P. Cook, D.A. Rutledge, Hugh Cameron, and John Jones, County Commissioners. Elizabeth Pittman donated the land on which the two-story courthouse was built.
Rutledge for many years was a thriving community, but the construction of the Alabama Midland Railroad from Montgomery to Luverne in 1888 by-passed the town. A spur track built from Julian to Rutledge in 1891 failed to stop the loss of population and business to Luverne and in 1893 a special election led to the county seat being moved there.
Erected 1990 by the Crenshaw County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 43.829′ N, 86° 18.601′ W. Marker is in Rutledge, Alabama, in Crenshaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Street (State Road 10) and Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 Lee Street, Rutledge AL 36071, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); New Providence Primitive Baptist Church Site (approx. 8.6 miles away); Elam Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 11 miles away); Goshen Substation (approx. 11.1 miles away); Rodgers School (approx. 12.3 miles away); Sports (approx. 13.8 miles away); Oak Bowery (approx. 17.1 miles away).
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.