Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Jackson

 
 
Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 21, 2006
1. Jackson Marker
Inscription.
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called
"Bottileas”
by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here.
In 1849, it was named
Jackson
for Colonel Jackson an early day resident.
In 1853, Amador County was carved out of
Calaveras County and Jackson
became its County Seat.
In 1886, The Order of
Native Daughters of the Golden West
was founded here and to commemorate
the semi-centennial year of the order
this monument is erected and dedicated

 
Erected 1936 by The Ursula Parlor No.1, Native Daughters of the Golden West, May 16, 1936.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 21.89′ N, 120° 47.23′ W. Marker is near Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 49. Touch for map. Marker is located at the rest area across from the Kennedy Mine, 1.6 miles north of the town of Jackson. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 21, 2006
2. Jackson Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Argonaut Mine (here, next to this marker); The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine (here, next to this marker); Anthony Caminetti (a few steps from this marker); University of California Foothill Field Station (a few steps from this marker); Argonaut and Kennedy Mines (a few steps from this marker); Amador County Veterans' Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Kennedy Mining and Milling Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kennedy Mine Headframe (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Also see . . .  The History of Jackson. (Submitted on October 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNatural ResourcesNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Jackson Historical Main Street Directional Sign image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 7, 2009
3. Jackson Historical Main Street Directional Sign
This sign is located at the intersection of Main Street and State Highway 49.
Jackson, California image. Click for full size.
Mike Roberts, Berkeley, Ca. Distributed by Bob Ball, Visalia,Ca
4. Jackson, California
Description on Poscard: County seat of Amador County located on Highways 49 and 88. One of the most famous gold mining towns in the Mother Lode Country
National Hotel image. Click for full size.
David Compolongo, Published by Scope Enterprises, Clovis,Ca., October 29, 2008
5. National Hotel
Description on Postcard:
National Hotel
Jackson, California,
The largest ciy in Amador County, with a population of 3,806, Jackson was founded as a gold rush camp in 1848. It was destroyed by fire in 1862 and was rebuilt. Many of the existing historic main street structures date from that reconstruction era. Jackson became the county seat when Amador County was established in 1854.
View of the Town of Jackson image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 7, 2009
6. View of the Town of Jackson
This view of current day Jackson is from the Kennedy Mine Office Building north of town.
The Garibaldi Building on Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
7. The Garibaldi Building on Main Street
Rest Area image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
8. Rest Area
Looking from the north end of the rest area, the Jackson Marker is visible just over the roof of the car. The obelisk on the left is the Anthony Caminetti marker in its new location.
Jackson Monument and others image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
9. Jackson Monument and others
The Jackson Monument is on the extreme left, the Argonaut Mine monument is on the boulder a few feet to the right. The UC Foothill Field Station marker is on the boulder to the right of the roofed area and the Argonaut and Kennedy Mines monument is on the boulder to the right of that. And, finally, the large black slab on the right is the Veterans' monument. The Anthony Carminetti monument is out of the picture to the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,732 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3. submitted on June 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4, 5. submitted on October 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   6. submitted on June 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   7. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   8, 9. submitted on March 2, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.
Paid Advertisement