Oakland in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Alameda County Courthouses
Alvarado • 1853-1855
Alameda County’s first courthouse was a converted loft space above a general store in the frontier town of Alvarado, near where Alameda Creek flowed into San Francisco Bay.
The building, demolished many years ago, was located on what is now the northwest corner of Union City Boulevard and Smith Street in Union City. Henry Clay Smith, a State Assemblyman from Washington Township and a substantial landowner in that area, introduced a bill creating Alameda County, which was approved by the state legislature, then meeting in Benicia, and signed by Governor John Bigler on March 25, 1852. The loft space where the county government first met, when the Court of Sessions convened on June 6, 1853, was, in fact, located above the Smith and Church Store in a building owned by Smith, and the county government agreed to pay him $200 annual rent for use of the space.
The county seat was in Alvarado for less than three years. Dissatisfaction arose over the frequent winter floods and summer dust and mosquitos (sic) in marshy Alvarado. Also, the county’s population, which originally centered around Alvarado, was shifting northward. On December 5, 1854
San Leandro • 1855-1873
The Estudillo family, holders of the original Mexican land grant, was instrumental in bringing the county seat to the town of San Leandro.
They donated four city blocks of their land for public purposes, around which the new town of San Leandro arose. A temporary courthouse had been built in 1855, but following the state legislature’s final vote in favor of that site, work began on a permanent structure. Alameda County’s second courthouse opened in 1857 at a cost of $30,000. Pedimented, with imposing Ionic columns flanking the entry, it was built entirely of bricks made from clay extracted to create the courthouse basement. The first floor was
The Greek Revival building was praised as “unsurpassed by any county in the state... for comfort, convenience, elegance, and strength,” but worries arose about its ability to survive a major earthquake. Indeed, it was substantially destroyed by the historic earthquake of October 21, 1868. The county offices and courts moved temporarily to a nearby Methodist Church, and the Supervisors ordered repairs to the courthouse, including iron cells for the subterranean jail and a new frame building over it, as well as a separate fireproof building for the Recorder’s office. The new facilities were ready by January, 1869, and served the county until June, 1873. The courthouse building served as a Catholic school from 1880 until its demolition in 1926. Its site, on the southwest corner of the intersection of Clarke and Davis streets, is currently occupied by St. Leander’s School.
East Oakland • 1873-1875
A powerful contingent of Oakland citizens has always wanted to see the county seat located in their city.
By 1870 Oakland had over 10,000 people and was the new terminus of the transcontinental railroad. It was clearly the center of public life in the county, but attempts to relocate the county seat there were met by stiff opposition from representatives of San Leandro and other towns to the south and east. As a compromise, some suggested Brooklyn, a smaller community located between Oakland and San Leandro. However, Brooklyn was annexed to Oakland in November, 1872, and in another popular vote on the location of the county seat, in April, 1873, voters cast 2,254 votes for Oakland and 1,189 votes for San Leandro. Oakland city officials offered temporary quarters in the new City Hall and the donation of Washington and Franklin plazas on Broadway as the future permanent site of county government.
Instead, the County Board of Supervisors accepted the offer of a parcel on East 14th Street, (now International Boulevard) in the Brooklyn neighborhood and $10,000 to build a courthouse
Oakland • 1875-1936
County officials occupied the courthouse in East Oakland only briefly before planning began for much larger and grander facilities in downtown Oakland.
In 1874 the state legislature approved the transfer of two Oakland plazas, located on opposite sides of Broadway between 4th and 5th streets, and the issuance of $200,000 in bonds for construction of new county offices. Washington Plaza, on the west side of Broadway, was chosen as the site for the new courthouse, while Franklin Plaza, across the street, was selected for the Hall of Records.
Alameda county’s fourth courthouse, which opened in June, 1897, was as grand as its predecessor was plain. It was designed by the prominent architects and brothers, John J. and Thomas D. Newsom (who also designed Oakland’s fourth City Hall in 1878). Built in the Second Empire style, the courthouse featured
Within fifty years, however, this appraisal of the courthouse would change. By the 1920s – in an era long before the rise of the modern historic preservation movement – the courthouse on Broadway, and the equally grand Hall of Records which faced it, were viewed as outdated and embarrassing. Noting the shift of Oakland business away from lower Broadway, one Oakland journal stated in 1923 that “the center of activities is now many miles away from the old courthouse district and... the buildings are a positive disgrace to the community.” Calling for voters to support a bond to fund completely new county buildings in 1924, the same paper editorialized that the building “must now be swept aside...” While that bond measure failed, it would not be long before those in favor of a new county courthouse would succeed in their efforts.
Oakland • 1936-Present
In 1933 the Oakland
The measure failed that year, but carried in April, 1934. Totaling $1.7 million, the bond was supplemented by $462,000 in Public Works Administration (PWA) funds to allow for the construction of the 235,000 square foot courthouse that now stands before you.
Designed by a team of locally prominent architects – William Corlett, Henry Minton, James Plachek, William Schirmer, and Carl Werner – the courthouse was dedicated on September 6, 1936, following twenty months of construction. The steel frame and reinforced concrete building features exterior surfaces of California granite and terra cotta trim. The main façade of the building overlooking Lake Merritt, opens to a spacious lobby whose stairway is flanked by fifteen-foot-high marble mosaic murals depicting county history and created by artist Marian Simpson of Berkeley and sculptor Gaetano Duccini of San Francisco. The first and second floors were designed to hold public offices, courtrooms occupy the third through the eighth floors, and the District Attorney’s office occupies the entire ninth floor. A jail with space for over 100 detainees occupies the tenth and eleventh floors, while an observation cupola
Damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, this outstanding example of “PWA Moderne” architecture was completely rehabilitated and continues to actively serve the citizens of Alameda County.
Dedicated in 2003 to honor Alameda County’s Sesquicentennial
Erected 2003 by Alameda County Historical Society.
Location. 37° 47.984′ N, 122° 15.813′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on 12th Street near Oak Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26 12th Street, Oakland CA 94612, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oakland War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oakland’s Chinatowns (approx. ¼ mile away); Asian Resource Center (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of College of California (approx. 0.4 miles away); Latham Memorial Fountain Unveiled (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1946 General Strike (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oakland Rails (approx. 0.6 miles away); C. L. Dellums (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the building on corner of International Boulevard and 20th Avenue which served as the 3rd courthouse. • Can you help?