Parkers Crossroads in Henderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Battle of Parker's Crossroads
Tour Stop 1 - Overview of Battle Area
—December 31, 1862 —
Knowing that Confederate Brigadier General Nathan Bedford Forrest's 1,800 troopers were camped in the area of Flake's Store, four miles northwest of the crossroads, Dunham deployed his troops up the Cecil Wall Road (2) to meet them. The battle then progressed southeast beyond the crossroads.
Very late in the battle, in an orchard and field behind what is the present-day U.S. Post Office, Fuller's Ohio Brigade surprised Forrest's horse-holders with an attack from the north. Forrest ordered his men to "charge both ways" to get out of the trap and the Confederates then withdrew south and east across the Tennessee River.
Map The marker includes a map titled: Early Morning - December 31,1862 - Forrest's Approach To Parker's Crossroads
Erected by Parkers Crossroads Battlefield Association.
Location. 35° 47.832′ N, 88° 23.419′ W. Marker is in Parkers Crossroads, Tennessee Touch for map. Marker is at the Parkers Crossroads City Park beside the parking area and at the start of the North Loop Walking Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Wildersville TN 38388, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Battle of Parker's Crossroads (here, next to this marker); Freeman's Battery (a few steps from this marker); Parker's Crossroads (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tides of War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Battle of Parker's Crossroads (about 300 feet away); Morton's Battery (about 300 feet away); Forrest's West Tennessee Raid (about 400 feet away); Forrest's Tactics (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parkers Crossroads.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2013, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on March 10, 2014, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2013, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.