Athens in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
In 1818, Robert Beaty and John D. Carriel, co-founders of the town of Athens, donated ground for all public buildings, including $8,000 toward the erection on this site of a log court house.
Among their donations were the springs which supply Athens.
Placed A.D. 1957
Location. 34° 48.155′ N, 86° 58.294′ W. Marker is in Athens, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on West Washington Street east of South Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the south stairs of the Limestone County Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242 W Washington Street, Athens AL 35611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence (a few steps from this marker); Athens Sacked and Plundered (within shouting distance of this marker); Athens First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); A County Older Than the State (within shouting distance of this marker); North Side of Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Faces of Market Street (about 400 feet away); Scenes From Hobbs & Market Streets (about 600 feet away); Trinity School Cistern (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.