Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
West Point Monument at Elmwood Cemetery
In the Memory of Our Heroes, 1861 - 1865
Erected 1909 by Norfolk Memorial Association.
Location. 36° 51.677′ N, 76° 17.096′ W. Marker is in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker can be reached from East Princess Anne Road. Touch for map. The memorial is within Elmwood Cemetery, east of the south entrance off Princess Anne, and about two blocks west of Church Street (US Rte. 466). Marker is at or near this postal address: 238 East Princess Anne Road, Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. West Point Monument (here, next to this marker); Fort Tar (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pauline Adams (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Norfolk 17 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hospital of St. Vincent dePaul (approx. 0.6 miles away); Father Ryan's Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Johnís African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
Also see . . . Hampton Roads.Com: "West Point Monument at Elmwood Cemetery". (Submitted on April 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
James E. Fuller (1846-1909) of Norfolk, a former slave and a former quartermaster in the First United States Colored Cavalry, was the motivating spirit behind the erection of Norfolk's African-American Civil War Memorial. An employee of the Norfolk Customs House, Fuller was largely responsible for the City Council's granting of a portion of [what was then known as] the West Point Cemetery in 1886 as a special burial place for Black Union veterans.
Depending on chicken pot pie suppers, raffles, and concerts to raise funds, the committee headed by Fuller finally had enough money to begin the monument in 1906. The cornerstone was laid on decoration Day the same year. Completed in 1920, the monument is topped by a brown metal statue of a Black Union private wearing a kepi, a tightly buttoned tunic, a sholder strap bearing the initials "U.S.A.," ribbed stockings, and heavy shoes.
Backed by a simulated wooden stump, the figure holds a regulation Civil War rifle and has a replica of a bayonet attached to his belt.
White marble plaques inserted in the monument's base record the names of the Grand Army of the Republic camps and other African-American groups which contributed to the memorial's completion.
[Extracted from "Norfolk's Two Civil War Memorial's" by George Holbert Tucker <http://www.norfolkhistorical.org/highlights/49.html>]
— Submitted April 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.
Additional keywords. U.S. Colored Troops, USCT, James E. Fuller
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Heroes • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,872 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on March 11, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.