New Milford in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
New Bridge Inn
1739 – 1964
In November 1776, Washington led his retreating Continental army past its door enroute from Fort Lee to the Delaware River. On May 30, 1964, the old tavern was destroyed by fire, ending 198 years of service.
Sponsored by the New Milford Woman’s Club
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 54.859′ N, 74° 1.706′ W. Marker is in New Milford, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Old New Bridge Road and Roosevelt Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Old New Bridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in the parking lot of the Sanzari's New Bridge Inn Restaurant. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Old New Bridge Road, New Milford NJ 07646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brett Park / New Bridge Area ( about 400 New Bridge ( about 400 feet away); Cattails = Clay ( about 400 feet away); a different marker also named New Bridge ( about 600 feet away); New Bridge Landing ( about 600 feet away); a different marker also named New Bridge ( about 600 feet away); The Zabriskie House ( about 700 feet away); Historic New Bridge Landing ( about 700 feet away).
Also see . . .
1. Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on April 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Washington's Retreat Through Jersey. (Submitted on April 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,857 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.