Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Blocton in Bibb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

West Blocton, Alabama

 
 
West Blocton, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 13, 2014
1. West Blocton, Alabama Marker
Inscription.
West Blocton began as a business and residential community adjoining the Cahaba Coal Mining Company's town of Blocton in 1883-84. West Blocton incorporated in 1901. Eugene D. Reynolds was the first mayor, 1901-1904, followed by Dr. L.E. Peacock, 1904-1906. A son of Italian Immigrants, Frank T. Ferrire, has been the longest serving mayor, 1965-1984. West Blocton was the commercial center of the southern Cahaba coal field serving the neighboring company towns and mining camps of Belle Ellen, Piper, Lucille, Gurnee, Coleanor, Garnsey, Galloway, Marvel, Moffatt, Masena, Braehead, Red Eagle and Hargrove. Economic opportunity attracted a diverse population. An Italian Catholic Cemetery lies just east of town and the League of Brothers Synagogue was built on Main Street in 1905. Bibb County's first bank, the Blocton Savings Bank was established in 1892. By 1910, West Blocton boasted of 55 businesses including a newspaper, bottling works, hotels, general stores, lawyers, doctors, photographers, shoemaker, tailor and dentist offices. West Blocton is now the home of the Cahaba Lily Festival.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of West Blocton.
 
Location. 33° 7.052′ N, 87° 6.889′ W. Marker is
West Blocton, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 13, 2014
2. West Blocton, Alabama Marker
in West Blocton, Alabama, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Walter Owens Drive, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. It is located in front of the West Blocton Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1139 Main Street, West Blocton AL 35184, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blocton / Blocton Coke Ovens (approx. half a mile away); Belle Ellen (approx. 1.8 miles away); Piper / Coleanor (approx. 4.7 miles away); Town of Woodstock (approx. 7 miles away); Woodward Post Office  (approx. 9.3 miles away); Cane Creek School (approx. 9.3 miles away); Civil War Site 1861-1865 (approx. 9.4 miles away); Tannehill Ironworks (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Blocton.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement