Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Piedmont in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Piedmont Springs Hotel

Exclusive Resort Destination from 1872 to 1892

 
 
Piedmont Springs Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 7, 2014
1. Piedmont Springs Hotel Marker
Captions: The Grand Saloon (bottom center); In 1924, on the site of the Piedmont Springs Hotel, the City of Piedmont built a exedra or gathering place. The Exedra is now historic in its own right and the symbolic heart of the city. (bottom right).
Inscription. The Piedmont Springs Hotel was built by Walter Blair in 1872. The two-story white clapboard building had 20 bedrooms, two suites and five dining rooms, and the Grand Saloon. The 1887 cottages were added to increase capacity.

At 9:15 a.m. on November 17, 1892 the hotel came to a sudden end when a fire in the chimney expanded to the roof. It was not until 11:30 a.m. that Chemical Engine #1 arrived from Oakland to contain the fire. The papers reported that, ”The absence of any water supply left the occupants of the doomed building no other recourse that to sit down in the shade and watch the building burn.”

“At the extreme end of the building a pair of heavy oaken doors opened off the spacious veranda into the Grand Saloon with its huge mirror reflecting among other things, the rows of glass tumblers ranged behind the long mahogany bar. Along the walls were placed the typical barrel backed chairs and between each could be espied the heavy brown spittoons of old bar room fame. The center of the room was occupied by the characteristic billiard table, and at one side a pot bellied, over-sized coal burner stove.”
Evelyn Craig Pattiani
 
Erected by Piedmont Beautification Foundation.
 
Location. 37° 
Piedmont Springs Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 7, 2014
2. Piedmont Springs Hotel Marker
49.452′ N, 122° 13.913′ W. Marker is in Piedmont, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Magnolia Avenue near Highland Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 988 Magnolia Avenue, Oakland CA 94611, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Piedmont Park History Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Piedmont Springs Clubhouse & Cafe (within shouting distance of this marker); World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Faux Bois Benches (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Piedmont Art Gallery (about 400 feet away); The Japanese Teahouse (about 500 feet away); The Cascade (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piedmont.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located at the Magnolia Avenue entrance to Piedmont Park.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Fountain in the Exerda image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 7, 2014
3. Fountain in the Exerda
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement