Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Alexandria and Harpers Ferry Railroad was founded in 1847 and later reorganized to form the Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad which connected Alexandria with Leesburg. Incorporated in 1848, the Orange and Alexandria line reached further west to Warrenton and Gordonsville, Virginia, eventually linking with the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad at Lynchburg by 1859. The Manassas Gap Railroad was chartered to connect Strasburg and Harrisonburg in the Shenandoah valley to the Orange & Alexandria Railroad near Manassas Junction. The
All of these lines were consolidated during the Civil War when Alexandria was a vital distribution center for Union soldiers and supplies. By 1862, the Union Army had interconnected Alexandria's railroad and laid tracks across the Long Bridge for joining with the northern stretches of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The Orange and Alexandria roundhouse and machinery shops became the headquarters of the Union Military Railroads.
Following the Civil War, the railroads returned to civilian ownership and helped revive Alexandria's economy, although the City never industrialized. Tracks were extended and lines merged to link Alexandria with Richmond. During the 1870s, cattle and agricultural produce, including fresh fruit and perishable dairy products, were shipped daily from the Shenandoah Valley to markets in Alexandria and Washington.
Alexandria's lines were caught up in the rivalry between the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad during the late 19th century.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Orange and Alexandria Railroad marker series.
Location. 38° 48.004′ N, 77° 2.671′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Wilkes Street and South Royal Street, in the median. Touch for map. The marker is on the south wall of the west entrance of the tunnel. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orange & Alexandria Roundhouse (here, next to this marker); Wilkes Street Tunnel (here, next to this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Mary's Catholic Parish (about 700 feet away); "For God and Country" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Dr. James Craik (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexandria Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.