Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lincoln High School
The Manatee County Board of Public Instruction purchased property from Mr. Alden J. Adams on July 25, 1914, and from Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Singletary on May 17, 1922, “for the purposes of a school for Negro children.” The old Manatee County Courthouse was purchased July 7, 1914, for the sum of $500, and was moved to the site at 1001 First Street about 1914 or 1915. The school was name Lincoln Academy. Principal, Mr. W. A. Rochell led the school from 1914 to 1917. It was later named Lincoln High School and served all the Black High School students in Manatee County. Eventually, two other buildings were added to the site. A one-story structure served elementary classes and a two-story building had a bridge to the original building. In 1945, students were moved to another building in Manatee, which housed the first Black High School until 1948 when Lincoln High School was consolidated with the all Black Memorial High School in Palmetto.
Erected 2005 by Manatee County Historical Commission & Manatee County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 27° 29.441′ N, 82° 33.794′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on 1st Street (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles north of 10th Avenue Drive Touch for map. Marker is in the center of a vacant lot now used for parking. Marker is in this post office area: Bradenton FL 34205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major Adams Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bradenton Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Weatherford (approx. half a mile away); The Town of Manatee (approx. 0.6 miles away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bradenton General Hospital (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?