Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1868, firearms manufacturer James Warner moved his family from Springfield, Massachusetts, to Manatee County, where he hoped to regain his health. He built a home on the shore of the Manatee River about half a mile east of this marker. The Warners were among the earliest northern families to settle in this area after the Civil War: Warner's Bayou bears their name. James Warner died about a year after his arrival, leaving his wife, Eleanor, and several children. In 1884, a son, Warburton S. Warner, founded a town, Palma Sola, on a portion of the family homestead. He promoted it as “the youngest and largest town in Florida made up largely of New England people, where no liquor is sold.” The name "Palma Sola” commemorated a single tall date palm that dominated the skyline on Snead Island, directly across the river from McNeil Point. The central section of town, which consisted of a huge sawmill and the homes of the men who operated it, was located on the point. The town also boasted the two-story Palma Sola Hotel, a general store said to be the largest between Cedar Keys and Key West, a long wharf, and an ice house large enough to hold a schooner-load of New England pond ice. Large quantities of
pine and cypress lumber were shipped to New England, and
Erected 1980 by Manatee County Historical Dociety in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-294.)
Location. 27° 30.562′ N, 82° 37.041′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on Riverview Boulevard 0.1 miles east of 59th Street West, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on Riverview Boulevard, near the entrance to Warner's Bayou Boat Ramp facility. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5900 Riverview Boulevard, Bradenton FL 34209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Adams and Rogers Cemeteries (approx. one mile away); Snead Island / Seventh Day Adventist School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Palma Sola Community Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); DeSoto Trail (approx. 1.9 miles away); Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg (approx. 1.9 miles away); The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Great Chime Bell (approx. 2.4 miles away); Palmetto Riverside Bed and Breakfast (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Also see . . . Palma Sola - Ghost Town. Originally referred to as the Village of Palma Sola, the town was platted in 1886 and for a time was the largest city in Manatee County. As the story goes, a solitary palm tree at the edge of the Manatee River guided sailors to safe harbor and drew seamen to settle in the area. (Submitted on March 20, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 559 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 20, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 20, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on March 21, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 20, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 21, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 8. submitted on March 20, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.