Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Attleboro in Bristol County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Old Shuttle Shop

 
 
The Old Shuttle Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bryan Simmons, October 13, 2010
1. The Old Shuttle Shop Marker
Inscription. Built in 1827 by Col. Willard Blackinton

Stone Placed by Attleboro Historic Commission Given to the city of Attleboro by Mr. and Mrs William A. Nerney 1970
 
Erected 1970 by Attleboro Historic Commission.
 
Location. 41° 57.005′ N, 71° 17.469′ W. Marker is in Attleboro, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on North Main St. Touch for map. Colonel Blackington inn is at 203 North Main st The site is directly across the street on the far side of the parking lot. Facing the inn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Main st, Attleboro MA 02703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. L.G. Balfour Company WWII Marker (approx. half a mile away); Charles O. Fiske Square (approx. half a mile away); The Mullaney Twins Memorial Parking Area (approx. half a mile away); Memory of the Revolutionary Soldiers (approx. 0.6 miles away); The First Attleborough Towne House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial Common (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alfred Johnson and John B. Morin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Everett Southworth Horton (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Attleboro.
 
Regarding The Old Shuttle Shop.

The Old Shuttle Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bryan Simmons, July 25, 2011
2. The Old Shuttle Shop Marker
Col. Willard Blackinton started the
business of making shuttles for power looms in 1827. The first operation of
the turbine water wheel was used at this location. Records show that other business was
conducted in the building, such as the making of "first class braids", The
site of the shop is marked by one of the original grinding stones, placed
there as a memorial
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2011, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on March 19, 2014, by Michael Wilkinson of Attleboro, Massachusetts. Photos:   1. submitted on July 23, 2011, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts.   2. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement